HIGH rise residents had to be evacuated on Friday after a tumble dryer caught fire.

Fire crews from Caversham Road and Dee Road were sent to the Trafalgar Court flats on Friday at around 3.40pm.

Six people had to be evacuated from their homes and emergency services treated one woman for smoke inhalation.

While some residents were evacuated, others were told to stay in their flats, due to the large volume of smoke in the hallways.

A female resident was found on the first floor of the building and guided to safety by firefighters before being treated at the scene.

A spokesman for the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service explained: "The flats did have a working smoke alarm, but it was not put in the best place.

"We would urge the public to please position smoker alarms to cover the escape routes of the property."