A FAMILY fighting for answers held the latest in a series of vigils in the town centre on Saturday to remember their brother.

Leroy 'Junior' Medford died in custody at Loddon Valley Police Station on April 2, but his siblings are yet to discover the cause of his death.

The father-of-seven was arrested on suspicion of assault and possession with intent to supply a Class A drug and died in his cell the day before his 44th birthday.

Marilyn Medford-Hawkins, his older and only sister, spoke of her sadness and scepticism at a vigil held outside The Oracle.

She said: "My overriding emotion is sadness. We were not allowed to see his body until nine days after he died.

"I am sceptical of the process. Even though it is being handled by an independent body it feels like they are buying time.

Reading Chronicle:

"If it was a clear cut matter we would have had answers by now. It is impossible for the family to find closure with his death still hanging over us."

Medford was taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital on the evening of his death and he returned to the police station a few hours later.

He was found unresponsive in his cell around seven hours after his arrest and pronounced dead at 5am after returning to hospital.

His sister added: "We still don't know what date the funeral will be. It does not seem right to bury him until we get the justice we are after.

"It is a long process and we are not holding out much hope for a satisfying outcome, but we have been touched by the response from the community.

"One of the hardest parts of this process has been his children. He has seven kids and how are we supposed to tell them their dad is dead when we don't even know what happened."

His death was handed over to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) but the family are without closure nearly two months later.

Visit: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/justice-for-leroy-junior-medford to make a contribution to the family's funeral costs.

The IPCC have been approached for comment.