AN EMPLOYEE on the verge of losing his job ran from a tribunal hearing shouting "I can't do this" minutes before stepping in front of a train, an inquest heard.

Matthew Gaines was in a disciplinary hearing when he stormed out. He bought a ticket from Reading railway station to the village station of Twyford.

He then stepped into the path of a high speed train killing him instantly.

British Transport Police and Paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service were called to Twyford Rail Station on May 22 the Berkshire Coroner heard on Tuesday.

An inquest into his death on May 22 this year heard that Mr Gaines was a man "who demanded structure and order in his life."

A statement from his parents revealed he had never been in trouble before, so it came as a shock when he revealed to them that he was facing a disciplinary hearing at his unnamed place of work. The 42-year-old was a printer.

The family's statement, read by Berkshire Coroner Peter Bedford at Reading Town Hall said: "He was someone who liked to keep to the rules.

"On his way to the meeting he had gone shopping.

"He bought a week's supply of food and a lottery ticket, which he always did on a Friday."

Gaines, of Elmwood Close, Woodley, was described by his union representative, Sue Stevens, as "stressed and concerned."

Her statement read: "I went through the process with him and all the possible outcomes including dismissal.

"He said he had not been sleeping well, he had lost weight and he had been to the doctor.

The chairman of the tribunal adjourned the meeting so the panel could reach a decision.

When they returned they revealed to the 42-year-old that they had found gross misconduct in their assessment.

He ran from the room and Mrs Stevens followed him, describing him as "catatonic".

Mrs Stevens said: "He left the office saying I can't do this anymore I can't do it."

The corner's court heard Mr Gaines then headed straight to Reading train station, before boarding a train to Twyford.

When he arrived at Twyford Station, he crossed the platform and waited, before stepping in front of the train.

Summing up the inquest, Mr Bedford recorded that Mr Gaines took his own life, adding he may not have done so if the outcome of the tribunal was different.

Mr Bedford said: "Matthew understood the implications of what he was doing and he knew it could only have had one ending.

"From my perspective he had not pre-planned any action."