HIGHMOOR Ibis became the first team to take points off Bracknell Town this season when they held them to a 2-2 draw at Rivermoor Stadium on Monday, writes Dave Wright.

But it was a game that could so easily have gone either way.

Ibis scored twice in the opening 15 minutes and missed two other good chances to double their advantage inside the opening half-hour.

But they came under heavy pressure for the rest of the match and had to rely on a string of fine saves by keeper Aaron Watkins to stop the high-flying Robins from snatching victory.

Highmoor rocked their visitors with a blistering start that saw Trevor Mutero, with a neat back heel, set up Mitchell Parker for the opening goal after two minutes and then Mutero doubled their lead in the 14th minute.

They continued to dominant the game, only being kept at bay by keeper Chris Grace.

However, they then suffered a blow when Parker was forced off with an ankle injury.

“Losing Mitch made a big difference,” said manager Marcus Richardson. “He was unplayable in those first 20 minutes.”

Bracknell, having tightened up their defence, started to edge their way into the game, only to be thwarted by the brilliant Watkins.

“As a team, I thought we were quality in the first half,” added Richardson.

“In the second half we were hanging on at times, but we defended well. Our oldest player was 24, so all credit to them.”

Highmoor held out until the 75th minute when Watkins was beaten by a George Short header and the equaliser came eight minutes later from Liam Ferdinand.

If the under-pressure hosts felt they needed to take a breather, it came unexpectedly in the 87th minute when the floodlights went out, with a fault in the fuse box being blamed.

After a 10-minute delay, play resumed and Highmoor just managed to hold out for a draw.

“Did we deserve all three points or just the one, it’s tough to say?”, said Richardson.

“But I think we showed we can be as good as any team in this league and I am sure we will cause more upsets.

“It was a great performance and I hope we can push on from here.”

Following three draws and a defeat, Highmoor had secured their first win of the season last Saturday when defeating Ascot United 3-2 at The Racecourse Ground.

Devonn Reid put them ahead after 15 minutes with Parker’s deflected shot doubling their lead just before half-time.

Jonny Denton pulled one back on 55 minutes, only for Parker to restore Highmoor’s two-goal advantage from the penalty spot in the 80th minute.

Rory Knibbs snatched a late second for the Yellamen.

Highmoor’s win was marred by a serious ankle injury to Devonate Romeo.

This Saturday, the Rivermoor men are away to Abingdon United in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase and next Tuesday (7.45pm) visit Flackwell Heath for a league fixture.

  • GOALS from Dan Alliston, Karl Hanks, Chace Jewell and Kai Parton-Edey gave AFC Aldermaston – who host Romsey Town in the FA Vase on Saturday (3pm) – a 4-0 win against Chinnor in Division One East.