A GANG of thugs who brutally attacked a man, kicking him while he was on the ground and causing him to be blind in one eye, have all skipped jail.

Dominic Wiggins, Jay Bennett, James Wyatt, Thomas Noakes and Darren Parker were slammed by police for their “deplorable” attack outside a casino in Basingstoke Road.

The group targeted an innocent 34-year-old man who was punched to the floor and continuously kicked in the head just days before Christmas Day.

Paramedics rushed to the scene and the victim was taken to hospital for emergency treatment. However, the damage was too severe and he lost his vision in one eye.

The gang of attackers, some of whom were wearing shod boots, were all convicted of a single count of affray by a jury but walked free from court after being slapped with suspended sentences.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: “The victim, a 34-year-old man, was with two friends at Grosvenor Casino, Basingstoke Road, between about 1am and 3.30am on Saturday 19 December 2015.

During his visit to the casino he was assaulted in an unprovoked attack by a group of men who punched and kicked his head.

The victim sustained a serious injury to his eye and has subsequently lost vision in the eye.”

A jury at Reading Crown Court convicted all five men of affray following a ten-day trial in July.

They were sentenced at the same court on Friday August 4 and ordered to pay the victim £2,000 in compensation each.

Wiggins, aged 27, of Holyrood Close, Reading, was sentenced to 18 months in jail suspended for 18 months. He was also ordered to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work.

Bennett, aged 43, of Hornbeam Drive, Earley, was sentenced to 15 months in jail, suspended for 18 months. He was made to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.

Wyatt, 26, of Managua Close, Reading, was sentenced to 20 months' custody, suspended for 18 months. He was ordered to undertake 200 hours unpaid work.

Nokes, aged 29, of Birch Green, Shinfield, was sentenced to 15 months' imprisonment, suspended for 18 months. He was ordered to carry out 150 hours unpaid work.

Finally Parker, aged 44, of Rainbow Park, Winnersh, was sentenced to 20 months in jail, suspended for 18 months. He was ordered to complete 200 hours unpaid work.

Investigating officer, detective constable Holly Stothard added: "This was a deplorable attack on the victim who has been left blind in one eye.

“The actions of these five men on Saturday 19 December 2015 have had a life-changing impact on the victim so I am pleased they were found guilty by a jury."